Monday, May 17

Election Night "Special"

So today marks the one week anniversary of the Presidential Election. I usually don't like to talk too much politics, so you won't read much about it here on this lame blog.

Was I surprised about the outcome? No, not all. I could of told you about a month and half ago that Obama was going to win. He played his cards right and ran a great campaign. Am I happy about the outcome? No, not really. I am hopeful though.

I was always brought up as a Conservative. My whole family is very Conservative, so I took their values with me as a child. I don't look down upon Liberals at all. I respect their views and values and agree on a lot of things with them. They can be good people.

I just don't like the fact that a lot of people were voting for something they knew nothing about. "We Need Change" or whatever the slogan was. I am willing to bet that if you ask 100 people voting that day, what changes needed to be made, at least 35 % of that wouldn't have a clue. Obama was a trendy pick. Not saying he is a bad guy. I like him a whole lot better then H Clinton. With media around the country supporting Obama, its easy for the today's youth to accept that as a right choice.

While watching The Hills, an embarrassing guilty pleasure, all these pop ups and commercials about going out to vote was annoying. I think it is a great thing for people to go out and vote. It your right to do so. Your right to have a say in our country. I just think channels like MTV were always hinting at who you should vote for. They might of well just said "We aren't going to tell you who to vote for, but it starts with an O and ends bama." You have musicians/actors, other people that people look up to wearing shirts and using their star status to promote Obama. Obviously, I didn't see much promotion in the entertainment world for McCain, but I wouldn't expect to. I just don't think it is right to have role models try to sway your opinion. You know 18 year old girls are going to listen to whatever Justin Timberlake says. He is a hunk, right? He is cool. A lot cooler than me, and maybe a little better looking. It doesn't mean that is opinion should affect yours if you don't know facts. I love music and a lot of my bands that I enjoy hate Conservatives. I am in outcast in my music world, since I stick out like a sore thumb since most of the crowd hated the Bush reign in the office. It doesn't mean that I am going to change my beliefs and my political stance because my favorite band thinks Republicans are lame. I think for myself, yes I was influenced to be this way, but I was more torn on this election then previous ones. (I don't like McCain that much at all). I just wanted whatever is best for me and my country.

After the election was over, and it was over fast. I start getting text messages from my Liberal friends kind of rubbing it in my face. I get on facebook and everyone is talking about how this country is now the best thing since ice cream. I think when Bush was re-elected, I didn't go around running my mouth and making people feel bad, like they are fools. I kept quiet. I knew people were unhappy about what happened. The last thing I wanted to do was to make them feel bad. Well this election, the majority of people I know and obviously here in this country got their way and some of them made me feel bad. Like I am a bad person and my beliefs are crap. How do you know this is going to be great for the country? You think Obama can just change everything with the snap of his fingers? No. But, I am hopeful. I honestly really want this to work out. I want our country to be a better place. I want to be proud of the United States. If Obama screws up and realizes he doesn't know what he is doing or whatever the situation might be, am I going to get a hold of my friends who voted that way and say "Hey, you suck! Look what you did!" Not at all. I will be supportive. I hope that never happens where we are in big trouble, just saying.

There was only one person that has been supportive and easy to talk to that has the Liberal point of view. Let's call her "Libby". She is very strong in her beliefs and I was honestly really happy for her that her choice won. I knew she hated Bush, though I think he is very funny and entertaining (not a good reason to like a president, but whatever). I know what changed she wanted. She wasn't voting because Pink, Justin Timberlake or anyone influenced her. She knew what she was talking about. She didn't give me a hard time after the election. She even asked how I was doing afterwards, which is was nice. I wasn't actually doing good because I had an accident and hurt my ribs (long story). Libby is someone that I know that wants whats best for the country and is smart about it. She is understanding and doesn't really look down on me for my views. She doesn't agree with them, but at least she listens. She is also cute and loves the same baseball team as I do. So she scores high with me.

Someone stole her Obama magnet off her car, and she probably thought I did it, but I didn't. Scouts honor.

She is a good Chinese. We need more people like her. We may not all agree on politics and we never will. Now is the time to come together and get this country moving again. For better or worse, till death does us part. I think that was in the anywhere.

Anyways, this was long and I am probably leaving out a bunch of stuff I wanted to say, but I want to hear some tunes.

No comments: